1119 Moxahala Ave (How cool- the address was the same as the date and fell on National Adoption Day)
The day dawned overcast and chilly. We were up and about early, getting breakfast, packing up last minute items. Mom and Dad had arrived earlier the last evening. As I was preparing breakfast for Eli, Tim came somewhat somberly up the stairs. A coworker had called off, causing one of our volunteers and his son and brother (our plumber and floor/tile expert) to be derailed from our project. At first it seemed a staggering blow, but then I realized that God knows what is going on. This is being done for His glory. I knew he would see it through.
I got in the car a little later than I wanted to and took off. Just before I hit the drive I received a text that one of our friends from church had a sick child and was not going to be able to make it. Again, I repeated to myself, God is in control and He is the one guiding and directing this. Though, to be quite honest, I was beginning to get a feeling for how Gideon felt as he watched so many soldiers place their faces in the water to drink. "So many, Lord? May we glorify you all the same!!"
Then a song came on the radio. In the lyrics God is talking to you saying don't be afraid of what you see, He is in control. He will do what He promised and He will receive the Glory!! Soon after that, just before I turned onto Alice's road, I looked up and saw a rainbow in the sky. Not a full blown across, but a hint of one without the darker colors. Amazing since it was below freezing!! God's "little" promise warmed my heart and energized me for the rest of the day.
Our project was amazing!! We ended up having over 50 people at the site!! Some came by to watch and ask questions, while an absolutely amazing group of people took over the yard and house. WOW!!
This is a description of what went on that I sent earlier in an email:
Our project went well;) we ended up with 50 people and 3 children,
and an extension to complete project this next weekend.
We got the old roof off. Tim said it was in terrible shape:(
slate off, boards down, chimney out, new lath board in, chimney covered,
new roof on, tar paper Down;) still need to put shingles on... Trying
to plan for Friday or Sat this week.
They finished laying the ceramic tile in the kitchen, Tim and
another worker went back today and grouted the tile and cleaned it
up.... Looks beautiful!!
Got the tub out,
drywall put in and the handicapped shower put in... Still a little to do
with the plumbing... Missing a part for the shower, and the shower
doors. A plumber that came a little later in the day to hang shower
door said he could get a brand new door for us, he'll come sometime this
week and install it.
Got the basement cleaned, rooms painted, outside railing fixed and
painted out front on porch, upstairs totally cleaned, pulling out beds
and dressers and taking everything off walls to wipe down walls and
Christmas decorations put out. (We had a lot of "unskilled" workers that couldn't
do roofing and there wasn't enough room in bathroom or kitchen, so we
found lots of other stuff to do;) and we moved all the Christmas
decorations twice while cleaning basement;) we had a great day! ) A lot
of work.. But so much fun when we did it all together!
It was overwhelming for me, realizing all these
folks are helping because of us, and to help bring home our baby. They
were so touched by this project! I have a few that have told me they've
asked family members to give to both hands for us as their Christmas
gift!! So touching!! I was in tears several times as I checked in with
each group making sure they all had supplies they needed or more
workforce;)
It was so incredible to watch God at work. I was the procurement person at the site. I went from project to project seeing what was needed and trying to find it. Almost every time we needed something, it was right there. "Is there a shop vac?" I looked down and there was one sitting behind me. "Is there a dust pan?" I looked up and saw one sitting on top of the papertowels. "Are there wire brushes so we can do the railing as well?" We looked for about 3 minutes in the garage and found 3 and a scraper!! Over and over it went, folks asking for something to complete their jobs, and God providing.
Alice, our widow, summed up our team very well. She said she didn't meet anyone that wasn't super nice... what a great bunch of folks. And, of course, she said she can't wait til we are all in Heaven so she can direct us in the choir:0)
The roofers worked non stop from 8am til 4:30. They didn't even pause for a picture, and some for lunch. They got an amazing amount accomplished during that time! They put on a new roof and had everything finished except the shingles. The tile laying crew stayed at it for 12 hours straight and walked away with all the tile laid. The shower team accomplished much as well, all these teams making it easy for Tim and a friend of ours from church to go back today and grout, finish off shower with caulking and covering 2 sides of roof with shingles by themselves.
Hoping to get back on Sat with a team to do the remaining 2 sides that will require much taller ladders.
How does one even begin to express the emotions inside during a day like this? Thank you is far too paltry a word. Gratitude doesn't even come close. Realizing the sacrifice they've made, giving up a Saturday, asking family and friends to sponsor them as they work, trying to bring our baby home from Russia. When I mentioned that I felt so bad about asking so much for myself (it is very hard to allow others to help, especially when you are a helper yourself!!) I was gently reminded that they aren't really doing this for me. They are doing this to bring a beautiful, sweet child HOME to a LOVING FAMILY that is LONGING with so much PASSION to complete their family through ADOPTION. WOW..
No comments:
Post a Comment