Monday, April 9, 2012

The day of introductions

Oh my, oh my!! The day has arrived!!! I am so incredibly excited!!

Oh the adventures we have already had;) the people here are so nice and friendly and helpful. When we exchanged our money we got a VERY large bill... Worth $168!!! We knew that it would not be spendable at any of the markets. So we ventured out to the bank. I found in our phrase book, "Do you have anything smaller?" And walked in. The wonderful young lady that spied us first knew as much English as we know Russian. She took us to a coworker that spoke English.
That very nice coworker explained to her in Russian what we wanted.

Then the first worker took us to the teller (who had just closed- she tapped on the glass til her coworker pulled the screen up, explained what we needed, said goodbye to us and went back to work.)
The teller took our one bill and gave us a stack of bills about an inch thick. Our 5,000 roubles made quite a bit of change.

Unfortunately, at the grocery store, our purchases came to 500.98 roubles. We had a 500, which I gave, but the next lowest bill was 10 roubles... Last time we were here a missionary we met went shopping with us and the cashier kept saying something to me.. It was,"Do you have anything smaller?" she waved us on this time, rather than give back change from a 10.... Will need to get some kopecks soon (coin change)

We went to bed pretty early last night... Lasting only until about 7 pm local time... And with very few interruptions slept until a little after 6 this morning.

Then I couldn't sleep anymore, cause I couldn't wait to talk to Eli!! What fun we are having skyping with him, continuing our tradition of praying together every night as a family.

Eli was quite excited over the letters he has gotten from us;) I have written several small stories with an illustration page so we can put a book together when we get home with Eli as my illustrator;) Eli solved the problem for me... I just have Sonic deliver his letter everyday while we are gone;) Thank you, Sonic, for your speedy delivery!!

Getting ready to head out now for breakfast- we hear there is a fabulous buffet just down the road;)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:ул. Красной Армии,Krasnoyarsk,Russia

No comments:

Post a Comment