Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The long walk;)

Since all our official functions were done by 9:05am, and we had the day ahead of us, we decided to head for the Kremlin;)
Had to get the family photo in front of St Basil's;)

We are a couple of miles away, so after feeding Lael her lunch around noon, we headed out. She really seems to like her stroller;) (which is good;) it was a hike;)

We headed down tverskya, and after a few blocks, crossed over to walk in the shade on the other side of the street;) What a beautiful day;) perfect weather for a walk;)




This is our front entrance to the hotel.

There are many American restaurants along the way...


This was an older style Starbucks... A mere 3-4 blocks from the big one next to our hotel. We also saw Burger King, McDonalds, TGIF, KFC... Just to name a few;)

There were so many amazing OLD buildings all around. We, as Americans, have no concept of old... These buildings were probably here when Columbus sailed the ocean blue, before our continent was even discovered by the Europeans.

There are parks with statues and fountains and lots of flowers all over


It was so pretty today!! 4 years ago when we were here, it was March, and very cold. Everything was grey and white and misty cold. What a difference a new season makes on the landscape.







We made it to the Kremlin and Red Square before we knew it;) Lael seemed to enjoy all the sights. She never went to sleep!! How she stayed awake is beyond us!! She seems to be fine with the jet lag... Yeah!!



There was a trio of Chinese folks taking pictures in Red Square. We asked if they could take our picture. The gentleman took our photo and the lady came over and said the way he took it would make it look like the chapel was sitting on Tim's head.

Oh my!! The ladies were so excited;) they were snapping pics left and right saying what a beautiful baby... Then the woman took our photo, placing the points of St Basil's cathedral to the side.
We stopped at a pizza place on our way back. Tim and I have eaten very little on this trip.. And haven't really been hungry;) Lael did well as we waited with the toddler puffs and some apple juice. Only a few tantrums, mostly quiet, interspersed with giggles;) nice first restaurant experience;)


Yummy!! We really enjoyed our food!!

The trip back seemed a lot longer. I must admit, I am feeling quite exhausted. I think it may be partly due to allergies... The floor below us (with the middle of the building all an open atrium)is being renovated... The concrete/dry wall dust is challenging, and ubiquitous.

We were able to Skype with Eli for a little bit.. He could see us, but we couldn't see him. He is really missing us... And we him!! The phone call with voices didnt quite seem to cut it, so we were very glad he got to see his little sister do something more than eat. We have been Skyping at breakfast each day for us. Only 2 more wake ups!!

Lael is amazing!! She kept herself awake until a little after 8. She would lay down her face and start to drift off and then jump up and giggle and play a little more. Nothing quite so funny as a slap happy 12 month old;)

I finally went in and took my shower... She came crawling very quickly to the room door and lay down next to it crying. Tim said she does that every time I go to the bathroom... Afraid I am leaving. She stayed awake until I came out.. Looked at both of us and then konked out!!

Another day done, another day closer to home. Tomorrow is the Embassy. Will have to paint word pictures for you, as nothing with batteries is allowed in the building.

Thank you, God, for stamina!!

- Posted using BlogPress from lmy iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I remember that walk from the Marriott down to Red Square. For us it was a bit chilly!;) We stopped and ate at TGIF, only the decor was like the ones in the States. Strollers are amazing! I remember being so thankful for them! The tantrums I remember we're exhausting and I felt a bit like a mindless zombie by the time we got home. Our prayers are with you! Enjoy your last few days in Russia, you'll be home before you know it!
    Hugs,
    The Goeppners

    ReplyDelete