We made it to the airport, with Lael falling asleep on the way

and the fun began;) our airline agent assured us we were set... I even called a few days before we left to make sure. We chose to have Lael as a lap infant passenger. Aeroflot charges nothing for infants riding on laps. HOWEVER.... You need a receipt of the ticket... So Yelena and Tim took off to get a receipt for a free ticket... Yup... Wouldn't give us a boarding pass for Lael without it, even though we were booked that way;). So Tim came back with a receipt for 0 Rubles and we were ready to go.
We got that finished and our bags checked and then the rush to say goodbye to these kind folks that have taken care of us and facilitated bringing our family together and get through the security line began.

Lael was trying to get back to me;) amazing how well we bonded over the weekend;)
We went through security and didn't have to remove shoes;) and they let us take the cooler with baby food in it;) as Tim repackaged it all, Lael and I looked back and said, "Paka!!" to Yelena. Lael even did a dainty wave goodbye.
Before long we were in the holding tank, giving Lael her morning snack... Trying to keep the schedule she has been on as much as we can for now. I had the little bags of baby food... You open the top and the kids suck out the purée. Boy did she catch on quickly to that. You can watch the bag get smaller and smaller until it is concave. And then, we have the prerequisite screaming fit that the food is gone.:/
We boarded without issue and found we were in the bulkhead right behind first class. A very kind woman came in who had the window seat, but let us keep it.. We were thinking we could use the bassinet, but later found she was too big:(
Soo, we got out lunch for Lael and fed her as they were bringing out our food... Very interesting today... She had a turkey and squash blend, we had salmon with zucchini and red pepper.. 2 of Tim's "favorites." I did quite well eating left handed while distracting Lael with mummums... Little rice crips for babies.
There was a younger boy, maybe 3 years old, across the way... Very ACTIVE. His fav game was letting the tray drop in the armrest and screaming as he played.
They finally came and took the food trays away (Lael began crying when we all finished, but she still saw food trays sitting there and she wasn't being fed.)
Then, as I watched her struggling to stay awake, I experienced one of those great Mom moments... I whispered to her about how I was the same way when I was younger and finally found sometimes it is worth missing everything so you can really get a few things... And then...I laughed, because in the middle of my talk to her she drifted off...

Ahhh, Blissful slumber. She rolled around on my chest, sleeping peacefully for a while till our seat neighbor began lowering and raising his blind and yelling.
And then she woke up. But those precious few moments will always remain such a sweet memory. Her asleep on my chest, my body contorted around to provide a comfortable place... Putting my shoulder against Tim's. So sweetly romantic!! Really enjoyed that moment of contact;)
After that it was a bit of chaos. We had 2 major diaper changes on plane (pee) with one soaking her onsie clear through and a whole outfit change. She wanted to be down, not on our laps, not on the seat, or in the floor. She was very disgruntled.
We tried some yogurt drink for babies, and found out she knows a new trick... She sprays whatever is in her mouth out... Like a wide angle splutter... Actually works better than Tim's airless paint sprayer;) lol
We tried more Rice Rusks... She soon got mad and knocked them off. She screamed and cried bitterly a few times because she didn't get her way (and was tired and cranky and over stimulated)
Landing was a challenge. She DID NOT want her sippy cup. I had gone back to the kitchen area to see if I could rinse out her cup and fill it with apple juice and water, thinking it was the beverage.
Nope... This time round we got bathed in apple juice, instead of apple yogurt.
The people were nice- the steward came up and had the nice lady move over to seat next to the little wild boy. In true Babuska fashion, she was soon correcting him;) too bad she wasn't there earlier;)
Tim got up to walk Lael down the aisle and I thought maybe this nice older lady had swallowed a fork...her eyes were on Lael and were bugging out. She looked at me and pointed to Lael's shoes in the magazine bag in front of me. Then I realized that Lael was starting down the aisle in her bare feet. Horror!! Seriously, it is so nice to know there are people that will watch out for the true interests of children.
Poor little baby was miserable for most of landing. She wanted DOWN and she wanted it now!! She was screaming so hard a couple of times I could see all the way down her throat. God was giving me a sense of humor in the midst of struggle. ;)
When I looked over at Tim to tell him, he was looking at Lael with the most hangdogged look I've seen, with tears in his eyes, totally feeling sorry that we could do nothing for our little girl. It made me suck back some tears of my own...
Then, suddenly, as I drew her attention away from getting down from my lap to looking outside the window, she grew quiet. Ahh...
We disembarked, almost first due to our seat proximity, and rode the bus back to the terminal. It dropped us off very close to baggage claims, and our bags were coming around as we walked up;) The fastest we have ever been through the airport!!
Yeah!! A quick trip out and we found Vladimir. How nice to see familiar faces! We went outside and waited for Vlad to bring the van around. Soon we were on our way to the hotel in downtown Moscow.
Drivers here earn every penny!! The traffic is not nice:( so thankful I don't have to drive.
After arriving at the hotel and settling in for a few minutes, she went off by herself and we soon heard quite a bit of noise.... An hour later after 3 poopy diaper changes we realized what her issue was on the plane!!
Apparently she has to be by herself for a few minutes to poop, and she couldn't get away from us. Poor baby... Now just to figure out how to help her poop on the all day travel on Friday;)
Phillip stopped by for a few minutes to receive our documents for the embassy appointment. It was nice to see him again.
Amazing the connections we have made during our two adoptions. Fleeting moments in our life's journey where our paths cross, altering our course and adding such colorful threads to our tapestry.
Vladimir stopped by also during that time and dropped off our stroller. We brought it with us on our second trip and he stored it for us all this time;) what a great guy! He always has a bottle of water for us after our flight and a chocolate bar. So special;) there is sadness in my heart knowing we won't see most of these folks again:(
After Phillip left, I said something about taking a walk (in English to Tim) and Lael crawled quickly to the stroller and climbed in, looking at us like, well!!

Ready to go!! Is it possible she is already catching on to English that well? Amazing!!
We walked just a block or 2 away and it was a whole different world!!! It was quiet and peaceful with very little traffic noise. Wish I had discovered this park when Eli was here with us;) There we're several folks there pushing baby buggies and strollers... Such a beautiful day!!

There was a big courtyard with statues in the middle and shaded walkways all around.

She LOVED being out in the stroller. I am sooo glad we brought it! The baby carrier is wonderful and I had questioned if I should have even brought the stroller, but she loves the wind in her face and looking all around.

Walking through the park we heard folks playing basketball. We followed the sound around the corner we came to 2 big play yards!!


Anyone traveling with a toddler or older child may want to visit;) we are staying at the Marriott Tverskaya. If you walk out the back door and turn where the little market is, the first park is only a block or less away.
We stopped at the market on our way back and got some Ramen noodles for dinner. We were afraid to go to a restaurant with a jet lagged baby, knowing she would probably have a meltdown.
We got back and had a quick bath (the stopper doesn't work on the tub) and tried for a while to keep her awake. At one point she was on the bed, starting to climb down, and she fell asleep... Tim was right next to her and caught her before she could hit the floor. She made it until 7... Very impressive!!

She is such a sound sleeper;) we have been able to talk while in the same room as her and have a light on, and she stays asleep;) What an answer to prayer!!! I think I was most concerned she would be a super duper light sleeper like I was, waking at the slightest noise or movement or light in the room. So very thankful!!
So ends our very long day of the first leg of our journey home.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
You mention Vlad and all I can think about is Dr. Seuss' "Horton Hears a Who" and good Vlad (the buuny) or bad Vlad (the buzzard). LOL! See you all in a few days!
ReplyDelete